The weblog of Darren Friesen

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Ordination Details

Been meaning to blog for the last cuple of days, but the flu hit our house, and I ws not able to escape this time. Dylan and Madison were down with it on Monday, and I was feeling crappy yesterday. I think I am mostly back, although I still feel a bit sluggish.

There were no objections, so mt ordination went down without a hitch on Sunday afternoon. My dad and friends Wayne Guenther and Nancy Yee did the scripture readings, Cathy did the responsive readings, Todd Reimer prayed, and Todd Peters led the singing, including a great rendition of U2's "Yahweh", which is a beautiful song. Bishop Keith Elford spoke on Peter, which was very good (I'll write on this later). A lot of family and friends were there for the ceremony and stuck around for the food afterwards. I'm not totally comfortable with being "it" on a day like that, but it all was as good as it could have been. Thanks also to Bob Jesse, Ryan, and Jeb for doing the "behind-the-scenes" stuff in the booth.

As one of my former collegues said just before it started, there probably aren't too many people who celebrate a milestone like ordination and also have their last day with the organization that brought the milestone about on the same day. It was difficult to take both emotions in at the same time, and I wanted to focus on the celebration, so my being let go didn't come up in the service too much. Of course, though, it was in the back of everyone's minds, and made the day bittersweet. I hope that Lakeview Church grows and continues to touch people. I am not really bitter, but I am sad for them. I think that the goals they want to reach will be tougher to achieve without anyone taking up the area that I and Cathy were in charge of.

Meanwhile, I am starting to look to the future. I have no idea what it holds, but I would really like to stay in Saskatoon. My family and I are at home here, and I really don't want to move again. We'll see. Thanks to all who continue to pray, and to all who have supported us through this bizarre time in our lives.

Oh yeah, there were a few key people missinf form the service that I wished had been there. Love to Nolan, Steve, Gloria, and Elizabeth. Your absence was noticed, and we miss you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Pleased to hear that things went as well as could be expected.

Still prayin'!

8:43 AM

 
Blogger Adam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats Darren

ADAM

12:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home