The weblog of Darren Friesen

Thursday, March 01, 2007

About my appointment...

My doctor's appointment on Monday was routine, but it takes me one big step closer to going under the knife. I met with the surgeon who will do the operation, and he layed out a couple of options. I need to decide whether I'll go with repair or replacement. Repair is better in that I would not have to take blood thinner for more than a couple of months. The down side is that the repairs can wear out after 10 years or so, and a second operation is much more risky. Replacement is somewhat of an easier operation; they just cut out the old and put in the new. And I won't have to have another operation: the fake valve lasts for the rest of my life. The down side of this option is that I would have to take blood thinner for the rest of my life.

The other choice I have is whether I'll be available to go in on short notice. I don't know what they consider "short notice", but that might not be a bad idea; less time to think about it beforehand.


This is a model of a replacement valve. I guess I could be considered a cyborg, but I gain no extra powers.













This gives you and idea of what they want to do. If you google "mitral valve replacement", you'll see a couple of photos that are a little more graphic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home