The weblog of Darren Friesen

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Enough is Enough


I'm sitting here in front of the laptop, as I have many times in the last few months, not knowing what to say. I have comtemplated shutting the blog down, but I don't think I will do that. In my own mind, I write, even if I don't actually write here that much. So for a person who thinks himself a writer to shut down a place where he can write doesn't make much sense.

I absolutely admit that my blogging has been pathetic. I can admit that because it has been. Sorry to all those of you - if you're still there - who keep checking back.

The summer has been good. A few thoughts have bubbled to the surface that I will elabourate on some other time. I've had a chance to relax doing some camping with the family, my son Dylan bought a gecko (just one more tiny tiny step on the way to getting a St.Bernard), do some reading and revisit a few musicians that I haven't listened to in a while.

One songwriter that I return to over and over is Mark Heard(picture above). He died in 1992 at the age of 39, and he was one of the world's great songwriters. No doubt you've never heard of him. In songwriter terms, he ranks with Bruce Cockburn and Bob Dylan. His stuff is hard to find these days, partly due to some long-standing legal issues over who owns his earlier music. If you have the chance, and like that sort of thing, try and track down some of his stuff.

I have more to say, but I'll save that for next year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jadon said...

Next year? I'm sure you'll have stuff to say by then. *laughs*

I still come around, Darren. Glad to see things are going okay. Don't work TOO hard.

11:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the self-imposed expectation that one really should write something is the greatest hinderance to writing anything. I look forward to reading what you have to say when you do post and I will happily wait until you feel you have something worth jotting down.
Looking forward to chatting again soon my friend.

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

hey darren -

write on

3:16 PM

 
Blogger N.D.Fast said...

Personally, I like the sporadic style of your blogging, keeps me on my toes.

Id say it reflects well on your personal life and priorities that you post only now and then. Some people post every day, and I just dont get how they have the time to do it. You have a family and a job to worry about, blogging isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

When I first joined the site where I post my art, and my blog, I felt this weird expectation that I had to post something every 5 minutes or I would join the ranks of Stalin and Lars Ulrich (historically speaking of course).

In the end though, its your blog, and you can post whenever you want to. The bigger the gap between posts, the more appreciated the new one becomes.

If it makes you feel any better, the only person reading my blog is my Mom...

11:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home