The weblog of Darren Friesen

Saturday, August 27, 2005

One Week Left

I'vw been off work for 6 months (I can't believe it), and next Thursday I start my new job as Saskatoon Community Chaplain. I'm a little nervous, as I know very little of what I'll be filling my time with, but I have some good teachers, one of which used to do this job in Winnipeg. Also, it could be tough going from an office with 20+ people down to an office built for one. No one to bounce ideas off of or kick my butt when I need it (right, Gloria??).

On the other hand, it will be good to get a routine. I could do the Mr. Mom thing for a while longer if I had to, but I need to dig my teeth into something that draws me out of myself and into the lives of other people who need help. I've also booked my first trip, going to Toronto in October for a week for a prison chaplains' conference. Although I am not a prison chaplain, I have a lot of connection with different institutions in the area, including the Regional Psych. center, and the pen in Prince Albert.

The other big news is that my parents are just finishing a trip to Germany, where my uncle is a missionary. They have never been off the continent, and from a brief phone call, it seems they have been quite moved and expanded in their ideas of what the world is like. They had the chance to visit the castle where Martin Luther translated the New Testament, and also went to a concentration camp. I look forward to seeing the hundreds of pictures I know my Mom took, and hearing the stories. They already know I'm more than a little jealous, as I have wanted to go to Europe for many years. Maybe someday...

I just finished watching "All the Presidents' Men"; I have always found the whole Watergate thing fascinating, and have read a few books on it. It was also cool to see Woodward and Bernstein on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" a few weeks ago. That's what I did tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home