The weblog of Darren Friesen

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

New Job!!

I just got the invitation on Monday to become the Saskatoon Community Chaplain,and I accepted. This ends five months of wondering where I would be working next, and begins a journey into a world that I know very little about. It is a Corrections Canada position established in partnership with MCC. I'll be working with offenders/ex-offenders as they work at connecting back with society. There is also a lot of restoritive justice work, and raising the profile of social justice i the community. There is so much to learn that I can't really even fathom it right now. I am excited and nervous. There seems to be a really good group of people around this position that I'm sure I'll be relying on a lot in the next months. Thanks to Brent, Barb, and the others involved so far in getting me in the door.
Like I said, there is lots I don't know, but I'll fill you in on where I'm learning from as time goes on. Thanks to all of you who have been praying for us over the last five months for a new job. And now that we know the direction I'll be heading, it seems I'll need your prayers more than ever. It's a new world I'm walking into.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Congratulations Darren and Sheryl. I think this will be awesome for you - and for all the lives you will touch. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

10:54 PM

 
Blogger Colleen McCubbin said...

Oh Darren, I'm so glad for you. I've been thinking a lot about chaplaincy lately, about the importance of having spiritual directors in places like nursing homes, hospitals, airports, armies ... and correctional centres.

I wonder if someday the Lord might take me into chaplaincy, starting with a nursing home. Drove to PA with my parents tonight and on the way back heard a woman call in to John Gormley: when her husband died due to complications she was all alone since this was the third rescheduling of his surgery. She was 1.5 hours from home, and the hospital didn't give her any kind of emotional, social or spiritual support before letting her walk out in shock. She choked up as she said there was no chaplain, priest or rabbi available to her at that time.

You're not going to hospital work, I know. This story just underlines the aching void in our society for the work you're about to embark on.

May the Lord bless and keep you and make his face shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May the Lord look upon you with favor and grant you his peace. Amen.

11:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Darren,

Great position to be in for ministry!

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Sherri said...

Congratulations, Darren! We are thrilled for you!! As I read your post I just had such a sense of this being so right for you!! Our prayers will continue to be with you...

Les & Sherri

10:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darren, I add my congratulations as well!
While there will be a new 'learning curve' you will do an awesome job in this ministry!

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Everybody's Auntie said...

Yipee!! What great news to hear about my brother when I'm so far away!! :)
I really am so excited and know can't wait to walk with you in this.. I love new stories! :)

Can't wait to give you a hug and a Starbucks!! :)
-A

7:21 PM

 
Blogger Jadon said...

Awesome, Darren! May you be a conduit of grace there.

10:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darren - ever see Snoopy do his Happy Dance? That is me right now dancing for Jesus because of you!! I want to share a verse that has been my anchor, as I too venture out: "The LORD replied 'My Presence will go with you and I will give you rest.'" Exodus 33:14 Go get 'em my friend!! Love K.K.

10:11 AM

 
Blogger Dan King said...

Darren ...

Celebrating with you man! I can totally see you doing amazing in this role. Sorry to hear that today (july 30th) is not the bet though ...

talk to you soon,

::danKing::

3:18 PM

 
Blogger Christy said...

I am so happy for you and your family...you guys have been on my mind and I am so happy you have been led in this direction.

God be near you as you start this new and so very important endeavor.

12:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home